Rainbow Color Match and Fine Motor Sensory Game
Looking for fun and easy activities that work on your child’s fine motor, sensory, and matching color skills? We are excited to share this wonderful activity with step-by-step instructions.
Don’t buy expensive products… make your own to save money and work with your child on following directions to create this fun and therapeutic activity!
Expensive sorting games can be purchased from educational stores but you can make your own at home!
- Rainbow dyed oatmeal
- Foam beads in assorted colors
- Wooden clothespins
- Terracotta Pots
- Paint markers or acrylic paint
- Oatmeal; Old fashioned, uncooked
- Hand sanitizer
- Food coloring
- Zipper seal bags
- A plastic bin with a clip case top
To dye oatmeal
- Place 1 cup of dry old fashioned oatmeal in a zipper seal bag
- Add 2 tablespoons of hand sanitizer
- Seal and shake until the oatmeal is coated evenly
- Open the bag and add 10-15 drops of food coloring
- Seal and shake well
- Pour onto paper towels, paper plates etc and allow to dry for about 12 hours
To set up the bin:
- Paint your small terracotta pots with the paint markers in the colors of the rainbow, the paint markers I used will dry in about 60 seconds, but if you are using acrylic paint you will want to allow for adequate dry time.
- Pour the dyed oatmeal into the bin in the pattern of a rainbow.
- Add foam shapes, erasers, and other rainbow-colored items to the oatmeal.
- Add a few clothespins to the bin and allow your child to explore. This is so much fun for working on both fine motor and sorting skills for small hands! Have tongs or tweezers? Try to see if your child can use them to sort the items by color into the pots.
When playtime is over you can simply clip the lid on for future play sessions and easy storage.
We love hearing from our members! Did your child enjoy this fun activity?